Creating a website is only a part of the requirement for a successful online business. You have to also know how to make the website search engine friendly so that it gets a good ranking on search engines. So if website ranking is important to your website, you have to remember these tips to ensure that your website is search engine friendly.
1. The first point to remember is to use unique tags that identify the content of the respective web pages of your website. Make sure this is generated automatically for your site as it will make a huge difference in the ranking of individual pages and products.
2. The content of the website should be well structured and keyword rich. In addition to it, it should also have bullet points, highlighted words and heading tags to help search engines in crawling them.
3. It is better to place your straightforward menu at the top of the page to make it easy to navigate the page. And if you have various deep level pages in the website, have a sitemap that is linked to the homepage for search engines to easily find it.
4. Update the website regularly to keep the website fresh. This can be done with a cms (content management system) or blog. Fresh content on the website boost your keyword combinations and improves the chances of visitors finding you in their searches.
5. Don’t use the same keywords on different pages as it reduces the value of a keyword on a particular page. It also makes it difficult for search engines to decide on which page to show on searches.
6. Though Flash gives flashy ads for your website, it should be used sparingly as it does not help in improving the page ranking of your website.
7. Make the layout of your website as clean as possible. This makes it easier for search engines to access your website. It is better to use Cascading Style Sheets for design implementation and to store scripts in external files.
8. As search engines can’t read text in images, don’t do this. Instead use ALT tags to embed text in images.
9. Your website should have a meaningful directory and file names with keywords in them as search engines pick them up faster.
10. When linking to your home page, make sure the link is linked to the full domain name and not just to the file name. This increases the flow of traffic to your website.
Please leave your comments or if you have any other tips related to search engine friendly web design.